Vampire Weekend are offering up “Horchata,” the opening song off their January 12th album Contra, as a free download over at their official Website today. The band has been all viral lately while promoting their second record, and the lead-up to “Horchata” was no different, with their IThinkUrAContra Website mounting a countdown clock that revealed the free download when the zeroes hit today at 2:30 p.m. EST.
“Horchata” has all the markings of a Vampire Weekend song: The polyrhythmic influences, xylophones and strings that build until crescendo, the pop sensibilities and lyrics ripped from the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle. And maybe it’s because we keep staring at the beautiful, screensaver-worthy coastline picture featured on the VW site now, but “Horchata” does have that air of California breeziness that Vampire Weekend told Rolling Stone they were trying to capture on Contra when we spoke to them earlier this year.
As a tribute to the Golden State, which served as a major inspiration for Ezra Koenig and VW as they recorded their new disc, the band will play eight shows in assorted Californian cities in November. Check out the dates below:
- Oct. 6 — Montreal, QC @ Le National
- Oct. 8 — Toronto, ON @ Horseshoe Tavern
- Nov. 2 — Long Beach, CA @ The Art Theater
- Nov. 5 — Pioneertown, CA @ Pappy and Harriet’s
- Nov. 7 — Lafayette, CA @ Town Hall Theatre
- Nov. 8 — Santa Cruz, CA @ Catalyst
- Nov. 9 — Visalia, CA @ The Cellar Door
- Nov. 10 — San Luis Obispo, CA Downtown Brew
- Nov. 12 — Bakersfield, CA @ Chencho’s
- Nov. 14 — Lomita, CA @ VFW Hall