In a dark world, we’re drawn toward fire. But within the fire, there is danger, and a different kind of darkness.
On Precious, the new album from OURS, Jimmy Gnecco is the fire. His voice seduces, soothes – then slashes through the skin of indifference. The songs are a shout of anger or a cry of pain, unleashed from inches away.
The band’s debut album, 2001’s Distorted Lullabies, also seemed wrenched from the guts of someone who, for all his youth, had weathered a lifetime of turmoil. But Precious comes like sonic surf from a place even more unsettled.
Though Distorted Lullabies was released only last year, to Gnecco it already seems a century away. “By the time we were done recording Distorted Lullabies, it had become something different from what we’d originally intended,” Gnecco reveals, “but we learned to love it for what it had become. When we finished Precious, we had achieved our intent – it came across in the music.”
It takes only a few seconds to recognize that Precious (released Nov. 5 on DreamWorks Records) is something totally different from Distorted Lullabies. It’s more focused, with less sweetening. The band is more up-front in the mix. Gnecco, guitarist Dave Milone, bassist Race, keyboardist Anthony DeMarco and producer/drummer Ethan Johns reveal more rough edges, but more passion, too. Their collective performance is so raw, so stripped to the bone, that, at times, it can be emotionally difficult to listen to, yet impossible to ignore.
OURS Is Currently On Tour With The Wallflowers:
- November 20 – Englewood CO – Gothic Theatre
- November 22 – Minneapolis MN – Quest Club
- November 23 – Chicago IL – House Of Blues
- November 24 – Milwaukee WI – The Rave
- November 26 – Indianapolis IN – Murat Egyptian Room
- November 27 – Detroit MI – St.Andrews Hall
- November 29 – Toronto Canada – Phoenix Concert Theatre
- November 30 – Winooski VT – Higher Ground
- December 01 – Sea Bright NJ – Tradewinds
- December 02 – Boston MA – Avalon
- December 03 – Hartford CT – Webster Theatre
- December 05 – New York NY – Irving Plaza
- December 06 – Philadelphia PA – Theatre Of Living Arts
- December 07 – Washington DC – 9:30 Club