Andrew McMahon has announced a new song with his solo project Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, titled “Cecilia and the Satellite.” The song will come from a self-titled record to be released sometime this fall.
McMahon commented on the meaning behind the song:
As a song it encapsulate so much living against the back drop of a new life. Cecilia was written with the knowledge that my wife and I would soon meet our first child. With the hope of avoiding territory this type of song often treads, I tried to create a road map of the life I had lived leading up to that moment. One my daughter might look back on some day. A strange life of constant motion, spent traveling in the pursuit of music. A life I’ve nearly lost on more than one occasion and one which I am thankful for, now more than ever. Deep down this song is about more than me and where I’ve been, it’s about more than my daughter and what I want for her. It’s about being proud of where you come from and wanting the most for the people you share your world with.
McMahon has also announced a string of tour dates this fall, kicking off in October in San Diego, California at the House of Blues, with more to be announced soon.
- 10/14 – San Diego, CA @ House of Blues
- 10/15 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre
- 10/17 – San Francisco, CA @ Slim’s
- 10/18 – San Francisco, CA @ The Independent
- 10/20 – Vancouver, BC @ Rio Theatre
- 10/21 – Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
- 10/22 – Seattle, WA @ The Neptune
- 10/23 – Boise, ID @ Knitting Factory
- 10/25 – Denver, CO @ The Summit Music Hall
- 10/26 – Kansas City, MO @ Uptown Theater
- 10/28 – St. Louis, MO @ The Ready Room
- 10/29 – Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
- 10/31 – Chicago, IL @ Vic Theatre
- 11/5 – Toronto, ON @ Opera House
- 11/22 – Nashville, TN @ 3rd & Lidsley
- 11/24 – Austin, TX @ Emo’s
- 11/25 – Houston, TX @ Fitzgerald’s – Upstairs
- 11/26 – Dallas, TX @ Granada Theater
- 11/28 – Las Vegas, NV @ Hard Rock Live
- 11/29 – Santa Ana, CA @ The Observatory
Tickets go on sale this friday.