John Ondrasik and his band Five For Fighting will be touring with the Goo Goo Dolls beginning June 7 in Atlantic City. The Goo Goo Dolls dates come on the heels of Five For Fighting’s headline tour which culminated May 1 with a sold-out show at the House of Blues in Los Angeles.
John Ondrasik has been winning kudos from critics for his live performances. Dan Aquilante, writing in the New York Post (March 14, 2002) praised Five For Fighting’s “… low-fi, high-energy show at Irving Plaza… this guy has a songbook full of tunes, many of which are as good as ‘Superman’ – and a couple that are better… One of the best of the night was ‘Jainy’… Ondrasik had the girls and the guys on his side with his heartfelt power ballad ‘The Last Great American’… it was the perfect end to a fine concert.”
Prior to the Goo Goo Dolls dates, Five For Fighting will make an appearance on the “Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn” on May 3, followed by a European tour which includes a main stage performance the Pinkpop Festival in Holland and a headline date at the Paradiso in Amsterdam.
Five For Fighting is currently enjoying the success of two singles – “Superman (It’s Not Easy)” and “Easy Tonight” – from the group’s current album, America Town. Both singles can be heard in TV and radio advertising for “About A Boy.” Based on the Nick Hornby novel, directed and co-written by Chris and Paul Weitz (“American Pie”), the Universal Pictures film starring Hugh Grant opens May 17. “Superman (It’s Not Easy” was also recently featured on the hit WB television series “Smallville.”
“Easy Tonight” was recently a #1 most-added track at Hot/Modern AC radio and is currently riding high on both the Top 40 Adult and Modern Adult charts. The video for “Easy Tonight,” directed by Nancy Bardawil (Hole, Goo Goo Dolls) was added to VH1’s exclusive “Inside Track” rotation. The music video for Superman,” remained on “Inside Track” rotation for a stunning 32 solid weeks. Five For Fighting is the only band or artist to have had two videos (“Easy Tonight” and “Superman”) from a single album (America Town) to appear on “Inside Track.”
“Easy Tonight” is the successor to Five For Fighting’s hit “Superman (It’s Not Easy),” which was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group with Vocal category. The phenomenal “Superman (It’s Not Easy)” became a proven worldwide smash: the song was the #1 single in Australia for a month, Top 5 in Canada, Holland, Norway, and Spain. The single is slated for a UK release in late May.
Having been certified gold in the US and Canada, Five For Fighting’s album, America Town is rapidly approaching the RIAA platinum mark.
A DVD single containing videos for both songs will be in stores on May 14.
Five For Fighting/Goo Goo Dolls Itinerary
- 06/07/02 Atlantic City, NJ Mark G. Etess Arena
- 06/08/02 Ledyard, CT Foxwoods Casino
- 06/09/02 Washington, DC Warner Theater
- 06/11/02 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle
- 06/12/02 New Orleans, LA Kiefer Uno Lakefront Arena
- 06/14/02 Orlando, FL Hard Rock Live
- 06/15/02 Tampa, FL Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, Festival Hall
- 06/16/02 Charleston, SC Joe Reiley Stadium
- 06/18/02 Pensacola, FL Bayfront Auditorium, Hall
- 06/19/02 Memphis, TN Orpheum Theatre
- 06/21/02 Minneapolis, MN Northrop Auditorium
- 06/22/02 Winnipeg, MB Winnipeg Arena
- 06/24/02 Edmonton, AB Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
- 06/25/02 Calgary, AB Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
- 06/26/02 Kelona, BC Skyreach Place
- 06/28/02 Vancouver, BC Queen Elizabeth Theatre